Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I'm a Fruitloop in a Bowl of Cherrios

Well, if there is one thing about me that everyone who reads my blog should know, it's that I'm not your typical teacher.  Because of this, I have often felt like I just don't fit in with other educators; especially when I was teaching 1st and 2nd grade.  No worries though - I can deal.  Here are a few things about me that set me apart from the rest:

1.  I don't have a perfectly coordinated classroom.  My classroom used to be a storage closet, and it often still feels that way.  I'm more about organization than actual decor.  I'm often too practical, but my kids love my room all the same.  My room is full of kids from the moment I open the door until I lock up at night.  Go home!  I love you all, but seriously... just go home....

2.  I don't do cutesy clip art on all of my printables.  In fact, I don't do cutesy clipart anywhere.  So many people make adorable assignments and products with clips that are absolutely precious, and just as many teachers love it.  It's great if you love it.  I just can't.  I can not.  Don't judge.

3.  I love sarcasm.  Love.


True story.  I have a BFA degree in dance, and I spent 19 years of my life working solely as a dance teacher and choreographer.  I still teach and choreograph, but now it's just on the side.  I know I still have it though: my shower choreography/lesson planning is still on point.

4.  I laugh at other teachers.  I do.  I don't mean to, honestly, and it's not malicious.  I just can't help myself sometimes.  We can all be ridiculous - I've seen teachers get worked up because they think someone copied an art project they "invented."  Seriously.  I think misery calls for a good laugh.  If we can't laugh at our day to day classroom soap operas, I think we will go crazy.  Lord knows, I don't need anymore crazy.

5.  I'm not addicted to the Target Dollar Spot.  GASP!!!  I know, I know.  How can I possibly be a teacher and not be an addict?  Quite honestly, I can't afford to spend my paycheck on all of that teacher marketed gold.  I make due with what I have, and I do not believe that this addiction makes any of us better or worse teachers.  We all have our things that help us feel wonderful about our jobs.  My life is perfect with a pack of new flair pens and diet coke.  With that said, someone really should start a 12 step, dollar spot, intervention program...

6.  I believe that an example of every life lesson can be found somewhere in the world of Harry Potter.  I will just leave it at that.

Just a few things about me.  What you will see, and what you won't see.  I'm a different breed.  But I like it that way.

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment