Tuesday, April 25, 2017

6th Graders Understand Irony... That's Ironic

Teaching 6th graders irony always makes me a little extra tense.  Just when you think they have got it, they demonstrate with amazing fortitude how much they don't.  I've tried different lessons and activities, but they always seem to confuse the kids more then anything else.  Yesterday I decided to just make my own activity that was simple and to the point.  It worked!  All of my classes did the activity today, and we all survived.  Woo Hoo!

I started with some awesome pictures:



Once the giggling stopped, we then started the interactive notebook activity.  Color.  Cut.  Glue.  Define.  Simple enough.  After each definition, we watched a Ted Talk video that did a great job at showing the differences between the types.  Finally, the kids came up with their own examples and explained why each was an example of the given type of irony.  Done.  Simple.  Very little confusion.


The situational example was my own addition to the conversation today.  I mean, seriously, how many times can one ballet dancer break a toe going up the stairs?  The answer is three.  As well as, several other breaks doing equally pedestrian tasks.  You are welcome, Students.  Who could have known that all of that pain 30 years ago was actually preparation for today?  Destiny.  

I put this in my TPT store as well - directions and all.  I hope people like it, because it really did work great for my kids!

~L



No comments:

Post a Comment