Friday, April 28, 2017

May Is All about Survival

I survived environmental camp!!!!


Three days with 93 6th graders and a handful of chaperones.  Feet up Friday never felt so good. Spring in Minnesota is so unpredictable.  Last weekend it was 70 degrees.  At camp it was 28, raining, snowing, freezing.  So cold!  There aren't enough wool socks in the world to take the chill out of you when you are that cold and wet.  The kids had a blast.  I survived.  Pretty nice place, but camping really isn't my thing.  It's all about persevering and keeping your mouth shut.  I did manage to do this from under 4 layers of clothes:



The kids were super cold after about 45 minutes of archery class (soaking wet, snow, and a gusty wind will do that), so they decided that I should try.  I hadn't touched a bow since elementary school, so I told them, "what happens at environmental camp, stays at environmental camp."  I took one shot.  The orange one.  And "bow dropped" right in front of all of them.  That's the moment I became their Literature Teaching Legend.  Boom.  They thought it was just luck, and challenged me to a second shot.  Not as close, but still better than all of them.  Double boom.  Two shots to become a hero.  My statement about the incident:

"I'd like to thank Mr. Spicer's 5th grade gym class, and the educational system that considered archery a suitable PE activity.  Without them, I would still just be the Literature Teacher.  Now I'm the Cool Literature Teacher."

Now that camp is over, it's all down hill from here.  We had a good time at camp.  Makes me wish the school year was a bit longer.  I'm going to miss these kids.  Now, we all change gears and survive the chaos that is the month of May.  One month left until summer break!

~L



No comments:

Post a Comment