Sunday, May 7, 2017

Stay on Target

Oh my goodness!  The kids are so squirrelly lately!  It's May and they have so much going on, and they know the end of the year is almost here.  Last week was a challenge, and it is only going to become more so.  And our kids have MAP testing this week - tomorrow actually.  Yikes!

This morning as I sat brainstorming for some new games and such to engage kids in our lessons, I saw a bunch of different bulletin boards on Pinterest designed for end of the year motivation.  I had a really cute one I did when I worked in the suburban public school with 1st and 2nd graders, but I never used it in the urban public schools, and it doesn't seem fitting for my students, or our school, right now.  I am always blown away by Pinterest posts.  Where do these people work that they have extra bulletin boards to use on stuff like this instead of curriculum materials?  And the size of these rooms?  Wowza.  I have worked in a "hoity-toity" public school, urban public schools, and now a excellent private school, and I have never had more than 1 bulletin board.  (In the "hoity-toity" school, I didn't have any - just white boards that I taped paper to and pretended I had a bulletin board.  And a pole.  I had pole I taped things to from time to time.)  My rooms have always been small.  Right now I can't even walk between the tables in my room when the students are in there!  Anyway, moving on....

Since we've established that I am moderately jealous of Pinterest teachers who have bulletin boards, I will show you my solution.



So, I saw several bulletin boards with this saying, and since I'm still reveling in my environmental camp, archery glory, it seemed to be appropriate.  It is a powerpoint, so I can change the number of days left.  I also made a blank one (just 8 1/2 x 11) to laminate and hang outside my door.  I think I will post the powerpoint one with my homeroom on Monday for the next two weeks, and then the small sign and the PP everyday after that.

I could probably put the blank one in my TPT store as a Freebie - not sure that anyone would want it.  Maybe if I post a pic of a laminated one with the number written in dry erase marker on it.  Anyway, I'm hoping that just a simple reminder might help at least one person remember to bring a pencil!

We have a busy week ahead at school: MAP testing, May Crowning, math placement assessments, the school art showcase, and a pops concert.  Should be a fun one.  Hard to stay focused with so much going on in addition to course work.

Tomorrow I'm going to post my foldable bookmarks that I have my kids use when they complete their monthly choice reading projects.  I have been using them for years and they work really well.  The kids all got their new ones for this month last week, so hopefully I will have some pictures that I can post of bookmarks in use.

Have a good week!

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment