Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Capstone that Ate the Summer

Oh.  My.  Capstone.

I have to finish my capstone.  I had planned to do it next spring, but then after some registration complications (not mine), I ended up in the capstone class this summer.  Without a topic.  And it's a shortened class due to summer term.

I scrambled like crazy because I was not prepared at all.  I had three potential topics floating around in my mind over the last three years, but when it came down to it, I made the decision based on time and the ability to complete the project while working.  Is that lazy or efficient?  Regardless, I do not feel lazy as this capstone is taking up all of my time.  In fact, it is eating my summer up right before my eyes!  My daughter was crying the other day because she said all I do is homework.  Stab.  Stab.  Stab straight through the heart.  After that, I decided that I would do the best I could with the time I have after she goes to bed, and that will have to be enough.  Summer is short and she is only 7 once.  In the end, it may not be perfect, or even my best work, but it will have to do.

So here is my research question:



I picked this topic for three reasons.  First, I teach middle school lit.  Second, our school is working with our fifth and sixth graders in a perseverance program that includes growth mindset.  Finally, I chose it because I have to rewrite the 6th grade lit curriculum anyway, so then I can make the curriculum writing my capstone project.  Boom.  Two birds.

There are only two weeks left of the class, and I should have the first three chapters complete by that time (introduction, literature review, and project description).  Fifty to seventy-five pages.  No sweat.

I'm hoping to get back to work on my TPT products very soon.  I'm finishing my Reading Strategies for Informational Text Bundle, and starting a back-to-school, literature pack.  I will also be sharing all of the work I develop for my Growth Mindset Literature curriculum, so that is something I am really looking forward to creating.

Tomorrow I hope to post pics of the room remodel!  It's coming along so I'm looking forward to figuring out how I will use it!

~L


No comments:

Post a Comment